Grow your own Eucalyptus plants from seed with minimal care. Eucalyptus, noted for attracting wildlife, is in leaf all year and in flower from July to August. The leaves are used in traditional aboriginal herbal remedies. The essential oil found in the leaves is a powerful antiseptic and is used all over the world for relieving coughs, colds, sore throats, and infections in many over the counter cold remedies. Citronella is another essential oil found in most Eucalyptus.
Eucalyptus is wonderfully aromatic, easy to grow, and lasts for years! Safe for ages 4 and up!
1. Pour soil into terra-cotta planter
2. Add one or two tablespoons of water, and blend with soil until saturated
3. Press soil smooth
4. Sprinkle the seeds on top of the soil
5. Add about ½ tablespoon of water if necessary
6. Screw clear terrarium lid on place
7. Place on windowsill
8. Your Eucalyptus will start sprouting in about one month
9. Place the egg terrarium in a southern or eastern exposure
10. After removing the top, be sure to keep the plant moist.
Eucalyptus can tolerate a wide range of dry to wet soil conditions but must be in bright light. They strongly resent root disturbance and grow best if you plant them on top of soil mounds. This plant is used in Southwest Europe for timber and to dry out wet land where mosquitos breed.