- Remove the planting pod, cactus soil, decorative pebbles, watering
tube, seed bag, background cards and instruction sheet from the packaging
and place all on a large sheet of newspaper on a clean, flat surface. NOTE:
Keep the plastic packaging for use as the sprouting greenhouse.
- Massage soil bag to remove any clumps that may have formed during
- Cut soil bag across top and use the unsharpened end of a pencil to
sift soil into tubes. Fill the large tubes first and then the small
ones.† Remove any clumps that may
fall into the planting tubes.
- Fill tubes in the planting pod to within ľ-3/8 of an inch below the
top with cactus soil. Press lightly to insure tubes are completely filled
to that point.
- Brush any extra soil that may have fallen on the base away with an
artistís paintbrush or blow lightly on the base over a trash can.
- Carefully roll seeds out of the envelope on top of the soil. The
seeds are very small so do this slowly. Put 7-10 seeds in the five large
tubes, 5-7 seeds in the two medium tubes, and 4-5 seeds in the nine small
- If desired, place 1/8-1/4 of an inch layer of Moonrocks or
CraterDust over the seeds.† This
can also be done after the seeds have sprouted, which is the preferable
method.† Use the unsharpened end of
a pencil to sift the gravel out, similar to the method used for the soil.
- Water each tube thoroughly using the included watering tube
a. Place tube
in cup of water
finger tightly over end of tube to hold water.
c. Once tube is
directly over planting pod, slowly release finger to water cacti. Smaller tubes
may only absorb half or a quarter of the tube of water.† The planting containers will take between 1
and 5 tubes of water, depending on their size.
d. repeat a-c
for watering remaining cacti.
- Place planting pod in the included sprouting greenhouse.
- Place greenhouse in a warm location, (either near a window or
heating vent, or outside in warm temperatures) and in bright light.
- Seeds should start to sprout in one week. Water any dry tubes once
a week while the cacti are sprouting. Leave the planting pod in the
greenhouse for at least two or three weeks.†
- Remove planting pod from sprouting greenhouse and place scenic
background card in slots at back of planting pod. Place in permanent
location in bright light, direct or indirect.† A windowsill is the best location to grow your Oddpod.